Recent content by Elwyn

1. E

Hiring fairs / domestic service

I have never seen any records from fairs. These were all very informal affairs, and half the population were illiterate anyway. Paperwork was of no relevance to them. Deals were simply agreed orally (as many still are) and you woildn;t get any written records. A spit in the hand was often the...
  2. E

William and Nancy McKay, Mark Street, Glenarm

Michael, Most people in Ireland in the 1800s didn’t know their age very well. They didn’t celebrate birthdays and if officialdom asked for an age, they just guessed. So discrepancies in ages like this in the 2 surviving censuses are widespread. Same with death certificates. The age there was...
  3. E

McLaren & Murray, Ballymoney 1820s

I looked in Park’s 1817 census of the parish of Ballymoney and there were no households with the name McLaren at all. There were 3 Murrays, 1 in Mountbare and 2 in Landhead but none had a daughter Agnes. I checked the 1803 agricultural census for north Antrim. Again no McLaren households but...
  4. E

Archibald McNeill/Carnegies...

The nli site has a record of Archibald McNeill marrying Rosetta McAuley on 1.10.1857 at Glenarm. It notes they were cousins. Witnesses were Rev Patrick Starkey & Doctor McAuley. There is also a record of an Archibald McNeill marrying Esther McNeill on 7.2.1843 in Glenarm. I don't see a...
  5. E

Crooks and Stewart, Ardclinis

The tithe applotment records only list people with land of a size worth taxing. So most were farmers and cottiers (small farmers). Some weavers had a little land but not always. Most labourers would have just a perch or two to grow vegetables. Normally not enough to get listed in the tithes...
  6. E

You don’t need a paper certificate. You can view the certificate on-line using the GRONI site. It should cost £2.50 (sterling). Post the details here and I’ll see if I can help you a bit further. There’s not much you can really do with the Hearth Tax information. It simply tells you that...
  7. E

The 1858 marriage certificate should give you Victoria’s townland (address) and her father's name and occupation. What does it say? That information should help identify the correct Crooks family.
  8. E

Dillon - McKillop Cushendun

The document you have is from one of the pay to view sites such as Emerald Ancestors, or the Ulster Historical Foundation which has transcribed various sets of parish registers. In this case, Cushendun RC which is in Culfeightrin civil parish. The UHF site appears to have records for that...
  9. E

Pre 1864 records

Most Irish research comes to a stop somewhere in the 1800s, due to lack of records. It's a common problem.
  10. E

Pre 1864 records

Ballycastle is in the parish of Ramoan. The early Church of Ireland records for that parish were lost in the 1922 fire in Dublin, and they have no baptism records before 1879 nor marriages before 1845. There are burials for 1805 – 1831 only. Ballycastle Presbyterian has baptisms & marriages...
  11. E

Pre 1864 records

Statutory births, deaths and RC marriages started in 1864. Non RC marriages started in April 1845. Prior to those dates you need to rely on church records. Not all church records have survived and not all are on-line. And of those that are on-line, not all are free. For deaths, only the...
  12. E

Gregg

I am surprised to hear you say that there’s no graveyard at Dunmurry Presbyterian because according to the UHF site there is one. Map reference is J290678. Civil parish is Drumbeg. See: https://www.ancestryireland.com Yes I’d be happy to meet, provided we can find a suitable date. E-mail me...
  13. E

Is Surname EASTON in Muster Rolls 1630?

There’s about 200 people named Eason/Easton in the 1901 Irish census. The majority are Presbyterian, some are Church of Ireland and there’s a few RC. So it’s a predominantly settler name. Given that the majority are Presbyterian that would point to them being of Scottish origins. Counties...
  14. E

Is Surname EASTON in Muster Rolls 1630?

The 1630 Muster Rolls list 2 John Eastons in Ulster, both in Co Down. One was in the town & parish of Killeglagh (modern Killyleagh) and the other in the town and lands of Holliwood (modern Holywood). The later had no arms (ie no sword, snaphance, pike etc). No Eastons anywhere else, and none...