Recent content by michaelap

1. M

McKay-Milligan links Carnlough-Glenarm

I'm delighted to get a response, 66redroof, even after five years. I wonder if you have read my long articles Back to the Glens - a McKay Odyssey, 'The Glynns', 2011, and Death at Sea, a Glensman's Tragedy, again in 'The Glynns', 2012. I can pass them on if you have not. They cover my...
  2. M

McKays of Bellair/Carnlough

I have added the references I have to the two McKays mentioned. There was for sure a Mulvenna also but I cannot find my notes on that section. This is taken from a document (now book sized length!) on my search NOTES AND REFERENCES 1 It was with the greatest difficulty I managed to piece much...
  3. M

Sorry for the delay in replying - I have had great difficulties recently accessing the G of A site. A quick reply to you would be: No, I could find no direct evidence linking any of those McKays I found. The same names kept re-occurring, time after time! My name is Alex McKay (Michael is the...
  4. M

Surnames of County Antrim article - Irish Roots

In the McCauley thread in the Forum I note a reference from contributor Dan McGreer to an article: 'Surnames of County Antrim', which Dan says was in the 'Irish Roots' magazine, Issue 3, 1993. I would dearly like to read this article. I contacted the Irish Roots site but it says UNAVAILABLE...
  5. M

delargy

May I suggest you contact Annie Philips on ani@internode.on.net. Annie is a New Zealander Delargy descendant with an encyclopeadic knowledge of the Delargys of the lower Glens well back into the mid-1700s and even before. She was a great help in my own search for my own McKay line, which through...
  6. M

Recently discovered three McKay graves in St John's, Carnlough. Any information on the names or places below most welcome: First stone is Alexander McKay, Senior, Aughalum, died 19 March 1881 aged 62 His brother John McKay, Dromorne, died 4 September 1853, aged 42 Henry McKay, Dromorne, son of...
  7. M

PATRICK MCKENDRY of Antrim

The GoA Forum has in the past been invaluable to me in my search for my Roots in the Glens. My latest query concerns a PATRICK MCKENDRY, a seaman, who died at sea sometime in the early 1900s, and was buried in RIGA. The Russian burial would suggest his ship was a deep sea vessel, possibly...
  8. M

Burial place of James McKay of Glenarm

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort, it is appreciated. I am in touch with the son of James's now 93 year old granddaughter, but the old lady, perhaps understandably at that age, has so far been unable to pinpoint the grave. One of the family moved to Larne and he may have been...
  9. M

Bay Farm Carnlough

Thank you, Hugh, I plan to get over in the spring and will get some photographs from the location you suggest. Although the McKay connection is long ago lost, it has its place in the history of the family and its connections with the area. Thanks again.
  10. M

A happy and peaceful New Year to you also, Tullyhill. I went back to my Townlands People and Traditions Felix McKillop book and there are many references to the Galbraiths (I am certain you must have read this) and Carnave. Excuse my ignorance, I did not even know Carnave was a Townland.
  11. M

Hi Tullyhill: Just to say I realise Charles and Kate are both down above as being born on 09/12/1881, clearly a clerical mistake by a year or so in the information I was given by a member of the family. A few more details: Oldest daughter, Alice, 21/03/1869, married a PATRICK TUITE, and...
  12. M

Dear Tullyhill: I had the notes here by my pc when your message came in. I have Alice (1869-? ) ''married, issue'' This would suggest James and Margaret Galbraith were married in the later 1860s Ann (1870-1953) Nun in Belfast Elizabeth (1873-1959) took over the pub, married late, no issue...
  13. M

Dear Tullyhill: As promised I went though my notes last night. Margaret Galbreath (with an ''e'' but probably clerical error as I have seen the two spellings used) [10/05/1842 - 26/05/1911] married James McKay [27/07/1837-24/06/1913], publican, Glenarm. Margaret Galbr(e?)aith's home is given...
  14. M

Dear Tullyhill- Thank you for your reply. Please forgive me, I do not know why, but I put Anne Galbraith in my original query when it should have been, of course, MARGARET. I had been dealing with many Annes that day and somehow it stuck! That is our James, OK, without doubt. I shall go...
  15. M

Does anyone have any idea where James McKay (1837-1913) of Glenarm is buried? He was a younger brother and business associate of my great-grandfather, Patrick McKay of Dumbarton. James was an adventurous type. He went out to Australia in the 1880s Gold Rush (where he was apparently held up by...