1630 Muster Rolls

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by wyanga, Oct 14, 2016.

1. wyanga

wyanga New Member

Hi all,
    Can anyone tell me if the 1630/31 Muster rolls have survived for Glenarm Lower.
    If they have where might I find them.
    Wyanga

2. Elwyn

Elwyn Member

The Muster Rolls cover the whole barony of Glenarm. (They aren’t split into Upper & Lower). There are 268 households in the barony, listed in the book. They are in the book “Men and arms – The Ulster settlers c 1630” Edited by RJ Hunter. Published 2012.

I have a copy. What names are you looking for?

3. wyanga

wyanga New Member

Hello Elwyn,
    I have that there was a George and William Taylor/Taller in the Hearth Money rolls for Ballyvaddy. by the collection numbers they were in adjoining houses/farms . I am assuming that they were most likely brothers and that there should be a father 1830.
    I am looking for Taylor or variants of it
    Elwyn you are a saviour, I was just about giving up ever finding an answer for this.
    Wyanga

4. Elwyn

Elwyn Member

The only Taylor listed in the barony was Nynan Taylor who was listed as having “no arms” ie not very well off. (He didn’t possess a sword, musket, snaphance or pike for example). No Tallers listed.

The Muster Rolls don’t give townlands. All I can tell you is that he was the only male Taylor listed. He would have to have been an adult and of fighting age, so between 16 and 60 say.

Have you checked Penders census for 1659?

5. wyanga

wyanga New Member

Elwyn,
    Thank you for looking for me . The Nynan Taylor does not ring any bells for me in relation to our Taylor names from Aird, but there were no other Taylors in the hearth Money rolls 1669 so it just might be a connection. If the name had of been Warren it would have confirmed the link between the Aird Taylors and the Taylors at Glenarm as that was a key name with the Aird Taylors. Both George and William were also used extensively by the Aird Taylors.
    I have checked Penders census for 1659 and it does not mention the Taylor name.
    There are no Taylors in Glenarm Tickmacrevan Parish in the 1836 Tithe records or in the Griffiths Valuation in about 1860. Have also checked the tombstone inscriptions for Tickmacrevan Church and no Taylors named.
    Do you think that the Nynan might be a mutilisation of another name? I am thinking that N might be confused with W in a transcription.
    Wyanga

6. Elwyn

Elwyn Member

Wyanga,

Nynan is not a name I have come across before. It could be a transcription error, or it might be a variant of Ninian which is a Scottish forename that you find here a bit. (I think St Ninian was the first Scottish saint. Something like that).

7. wyanga

wyanga New Member

Elwyn,
    I have been through all the names that Bill McAffee has for the 1630 Muster rolls.
    There are 3 Ninian
    and 3 Nynan
    So the name was in use in the 1630's.
    I am none the wiser as to its origins but the name that you found in Glenarm is likely to be correct.
    Wyanga