Archibald McNeill/Carnegies...

...was the father of Eoin and James, both significant historical figures in Ireland. The standard (possibly sanitised) biographies of Archibald say he was born in 1822, was a baker (from somewhere between Cushendun and Cushendall) and then master of a ship. They say he married sometime in the late 1850s, to Rosetta McAuley, in Glenarm, and their sons went on to achieve greatness...

...except family lore has it that my great grandmother, Margaret McNeill, married in Larne in 1876, was either sister or cousin to Eoin McNeill. Yet the standard genealogies don't allow that. However, in digging little deeper, I found an Archibald McNeill appears in the 1851 census records as the master of the ship Catherine Hamilton in Glenarm. He lists himself as 47 and that he married in 1841. I suppose it's possible there might have been two Archibald McNeills as ships masters in Glenarm, at about the same time, but that seems a bit implausible. Another possibility is that Archibald was older than the biographies claim, and that he had a previous marriage. Anyone heard that? Or were there really two ships masters with the same name?

Finally, a question: the same biographies say Archibald hailed from Carnegies. Carnegies does not appear in any placename listings for Antrim, and I can't find it on historical maps, though one source says it's in Glencly (presumably Glencloy). There is a townland called Carnegis mentioned in the 1830s tithe rolls, in Tickmacrevan parish, and two McNeills lived there, but that draws a blank too. Anyone know where Carnegies/Carnegis is or might have been?

The nli site has a record of Archibald McNeill marrying Rosetta McAuley on 1.10.1857 at Glenarm. It notes they were cousins. Witnesses were Rev Patrick Starkey & Doctor McAuley.

There is also a record of an Archibald McNeill marrying Esther McNeill on 7.2.1843 in Glenarm. I don't see a marriage for 1841, though that might have been in a parish whose early records are lost.

So there were at least 2 Archibald McNeill marriages. Perhaps Archibald was a widower when he married on 1857?

Can’t help you with the location of Carnegies or Carnegis, save to say they will surely be the same place. The spelling of townlands (and surnames) varied all the time. There was no consistent standardized spelling at that time. Even today spelling can vary. Some townland names had fallen into disuse by the time of Griffiths (1861), and certainly it doesn’t appear in the list of townlands in Tickmacrevan parish then.

Elwyn:

The McNeill/McAuley marriage was the one that led to Eoin and James. Knowing McAuley and McNeill were cousins may be helpful. Thanks.

There were certainly several Catholic Archibald McNeills in the Glens area. I think I may have to do this by brute force and elimination. That actually worked last night with Carnegis. I identified five people listed in the tithe rolls, and looked to see if I could find a grouping of similar names in Griffith's (They're only 30 years apart). I found one in Bay townland, just south of Carnlough, which is now in Ardclinis parish, but it seems to have changed boundaries since the 1830s, when it was listed as Tickmacrevan. And sure enough, on the oldest OS map, there's a Carnegis, and even a Back of the Hill Carnegis, both listed in the tithe rolls, on the southern end of what was then Bay townland.

It's still gratifying all the biographies had the same incorrect spelling. I've always thought biographers were the worst plagiarists. :)