Crooked Row Cottages, Gleno

Hi, I wonder if anyone knows the exact location of the Row of 5 cottages - knocked down some years ago now - known as the Crooked Row - or the "Cruckit Row". My great-grandparents, Andrew and Eliza McAlister lived there in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I have a map of the district, 1" to the mile, dating from 1927, but can't see it marked anywhere.
Sheena

dessy

GO TO GOOGLE SEARCH;
TYPE IN GLENO;
SCROLL DOWN TO;
GLENO VILLAGE CO ANTRIMOSGRIDJ3996
LOTS OF PHOTOGRAPHS OF GLENO VILLAGE THERE
THE PERSON WHO TOOK THEM SEEMS TO KNOW A LOT ABOUT THE VILLAGE
ALSO YOU CAN SEND THEM AN E-MAIL
HOPE THIS HELPS BEST OF LUCK

Thank You, Dessy.
It's a great site, the Ordnance survey site. I'm still trying to work out how to contact the photographer, Kenneth Allen, to see if he knows where the cottages were.
Sheena

Crooked row cottages located left of waterfall road at junction to Gleno village opposite Gleno Dairy and Alex McDowell (DAIRYSIDE STORES) I have now been informed by my aunt that she was born in one of the cottages her maiden name Molly McConkey.Her parents John McConkey from Ballygowan and Ellen McConkey (McDowell ) They moved up into the village and lived there for the rest of their lives and are buried in Raloo Graveyard.The family consisted of the two parents and three children. The sons where called Jack and Sam both of whom are now deceased, Jack and his wife Emily are buried in Raloo Graveyard and Sam and his wife Sadie are buried in Belmont Cemetery Antrim.

Last edited:
Thanks for pinpointing the precise location. I have now been able to see it through google maps and see there are two bungalows on the site now. It is closer to Gleno village than I thought. I have also found a good photo among my father's stuff which shows the Crooked Row had 6 cottages. I had previously thought there were 5 in the row. Sheena Geysen

Hello,
The location of the crooked row cottages was directly opposite McDowells Hardware shop on the opposite side of the road. As a young boy my Great Aunt lived there and I used to visit her with my Mother in 1970-1975. At the current site is two bungalows, the crooked row was more situated on the site closest to the junction opposite the Dairyside Stores.
If you stood on the road you would be looking directly into the curvature of the crooked row. These were curved to face the south east and catch the sun and the back would be facing the North winds.

Thanks for the terrific description. I can see through Google maps that area has been greatly changed. Do you know what year they were demolished? What was your great Aunt's name?

Thanks for pinpointing the precise location. I have now been able to see it through google maps and see there are two bungalows on the site now. It is closer to Gleno village than I thought. I have also found a good photo among my father's stuff which shows the Crooked Row had 6 cottages. I had previously thought there were 5 in the row. Sheena Geysen
Dear Sheena, is it possible for you to scan in and let me have a copy of that photo please? My husband painted the cottages in 1980 and I would love a photo to frame with the painting. Alternatively, do you know where I could get a photo of the cottages. many thanks and very best wishes. susanmm