Hiring fairs / domestic service

Can anyone tell me if there are any records from hiring fairs?
If not is there any way to find out if someone went into domestic service during the 1870s or 1880s?
I'm at a loss over birth details and early years records for my great grandmother (born around 1866).
She appears in 1901 census but I can't find anything before that.
Thank you.

I have never seen any records from fairs. These were all very informal affairs, and half the population were illiterate anyway. Paperwork was of no relevance to them. Deals were simply agreed orally (as many still are) and you woildn;t get any written records. A spit in the hand was often the way of sealing the deal. Nothing more than that.

Birth registration started in 1864, so if your grandmother was born after that, and you have her father’s name (from a marriage certificate, for example) you could search irishgenealogy’s birth records for her.

Elwyn

I have never seen any records from fairs. These were all very informal affairs, and half the population were illiterate anyway. Paperwork was of no relevance to them. Deals were simply agreed orally (as many still are) and you woildn;t get any written records. A spit in the hand was often the way of sealing the deal. Nothing more than that.

Birth registration started in 1864, so if your grandmother was born after that, and you have her father’s name (from a marriage certificate, for example) you could search irishgenealogy’s birth records for her.

Elwyn
Thank you