Location of the 'Isle of Magheramore'

Ivan

I have a friend who lives in Los Angeles. She is a descendant of a Daniel Campbell of Ballycastle who emigrated to the Klondyke in search of gold. She has correspondence from Ballycastle, and it is believed that Daniel lived at a farm named the 'Isle of Magheramore'. Does anyone know where this farm - or whatever it is now - is located?

I hope someone can help.

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

The Isle of Magheramore is or was a farm near Capecastle, close to the old railway line.

My father was brought up at Toberbilly, close by. His mother was sent by her parents to help on the farm in the early 1900's ( probably in the hope that she would inherit as the farmer had no children). She didn't and married my grandfather instead!

My great great aunt Mary Anne Redmond, died in a fire at the farm in 1945 and it was sold. I have a copy of her will.

I also have a brooch, known in the family as "The Isle" brooch which was handed down through the female side.

My great grandmother was Maria Campbell, who had a brother Hill Campbell, who lived in the Capecastle area.

I would be happy to link up with your friend. email address sheila@vtown.com.au

Regards

Sheila McMillan

Hi!
I have just recently noticed your entry re Isle of Magheramore. I have been researching Daniel Campbell's family in Ireland and can give your friend information about Daniel's parents and grandparents in exchange for information on Daniel's family in LA., as I know very little of that, other than both his brother, Matthew and sister, Rachel also immigrated to USA.
My interest comes from the fact that my husband's grandfather was a full cousin of Daniel Campbell, LA.

Hope to hear from you soon

Margaret

Ivan

Hello Margaret,

Thanks for the reply. How interesting.....Daniel Campbell went to the Klondyke, found gold, sold his 'poke', and went with a man named Brand to Glendale in the Pasadena Valley where they bought a citrus ranch from a Mexican. They found houses more profitable than lemons, oranges, and avacados so the farm was sold off gradually for building in the 1920s. It is a very attractive area. Campbell built his own house, named Ardeevin, in 1903 and this is the house his descendant lives in - it is now on the US Register of Historic Places. The house is owned by Sally MacAller who is the neice of Dan Campbell Jr's wife. I will contact her and ask for her authority to give you her email and address.

Glendale is one of the cities that make up the Los Angeles conurbation....along with Hollywood, Burbank, Carson, etc.

My email is ivannelson@hotmail.com

Ivan

Ivan

Hello Margaret,

I have been in touch with Sally Macallerand she is happy to correspond with you.....indeed her family have absolutely no knowl;edge of their Irish relatives. Yet in Sally's house I found one of these old stereographic viewers, and all the cards are Ballycastle, Carrick-a-rede (wooden foot boards, hemp rope, and one handrope!), the Glens of Antrim etc.

Her address is 851 West Mountain Street; Glendale 91202; California; USA. Her email address is smac710@mac.com

Let me know what happens!

Best wishes

Ivan (ivannelson@hotmail.com)

Ivan

Hello Margaret,

I have been in touch with Sally Macallerand she is happy to correspond with you.....indeed her family have absolutely no knowledge of their Irish relatives. Yet in Sally's house I found one of these old stereographic viewers, and all the cards are Ballycastle, Carrick-a-rede (wooden foot boards, hemp rope, and one handrope!), the Glens of Antrim etc.

Her address is 851 West Mountain Street; Glendale 91202; California; USA. Her email address is smac710@mac.com

Best wishes

Ivan

Hello Margaret,

I have been in touch with Sally Macallerand she is happy to correspond with you.....indeed her family have absolutely no knowledge of their Irish relatives. Yet in Sally's house I found one of these old stereographic viewers, and all the cards are Ballycastle, Carrick-a-rede (wooden foot boards, hemp rope, and one handrope!), the Glens of Antrim etc.

Best wishes

Hi Ivan!

Thanks for the email address. I look forward to corresponding with Sally.

Yes, it's interesting to find the old postcards-from what I can gather, there were a few trips back to Ireland in the early years and I suppose they did the sights when they were home.
I have quite a bit of infomation on Daniel's Irish roots so hopefully Sally and I can help each other out.

Thanks for putiing us in contact.

Margaret

Hi
I am interested in your posts re Magheramore. Daniel married a Margaret Ann McPeak from Ballymoney who was a granddaughter of a Hugh McPeak and a Margaret Todd. Margaret was the daughter of my great great grandfather Andrew Todd from nearby townland of Carneatly. I have more information on the McPeak side of the family.