McCormick, Cassidy and Rankin relatives from County Antrim, Ireland to New York, to Canada West

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by mmccormick, Dec 10, 2016.

1. mmccormick

mmccormick New Member

Trying to find McCormick/Cassidy/Rankin relatives in Ballyvoy, Ireland and Ontario, Canada.

My great great grandparents, Henry McCormick (DOB Mar 1832) and Ellen Cassidy (DOB 1833) were born in County Antrim, Ireland. Ellen's mother was Margaret Rankin (DOB: 1798 Ireland, DOD: 20 Feb 1849 Ballyvoy, Ireland). Henry and Ellen married in Ballyvoy, Ireland on 28 Dec 1848 in Culfeightrin Parish at St Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, sponsors were Mrs. McCormick and Peggy Cassidy.
    They had 2 children in Ireland:
    Mary Ann McCormick (Baptized at St Patrick's R.C. Church in Ballyvoy on 11 Mar 1849, sponsors were Stewart McCormick and Jane Kerr). Mary Ann died before Apr 1851 in Ireland)
    John McCormick (Baptized at St. Patrick's R. C. Church in Ballyvoy, Ireland on 28 Apr 1850, sponsor was Daniel McCormick).

Ellen Cassidy and baby John McCormick emigrated to New York with Ellen's father, Henry Cassidy (DOB: 1783 Ireland) brother (Alexander Cassidy (DOB: 1830 Ireland) and 2 sisters (Catherine Cassidy DOB: Feb 1828 Ballyvoy, Ireland) and Margaret "Peggy" Cassidy (DOB: 1835 Ireland) on the Baroque Elphinstone from Greenock, Scotland to New York. Baby John died on the way to America and was buried at sea. Henry McCormick must have emigrated earlier as he was not on the Elphinstone.

They lived in New York - possibly Syracuse from 1851 - 1856 or 1857. They had 2 children in New York:
    Ellen McCormick (DOB: 1852)
    Margaret McCormick (DOB: 25 Mar 1854)

They moved to "Canada West" probably somewhere in Ontario about 1856 or 1857 with their daughters Ellen McCormick (DOB: 1852 New York) and Margaret (DOB 25 Mar 1854 New York).

They had 4 children in Canada:
    Mary Ann McCormick (DOB: 24 May 1858)
    Henry Charles McCormick (DOB: 22 Mar 1859)
    Catherine Jane McCormick (DOB: 28 Feb 1860)
    Stewart Daniel McCormick (DOB: 20 Mar 1863)

For some reason they moved from Canada to Ridgeway, Wisconsin in 1864 to a farm near Ellen Cassidy's 2 older brothers Henry Cassidy (DOB Nov 1815 in Ballycastle, Ireland) and Alexander Cassidy (DOB: 1830 Ireland).
    They had one child in Ridgeway, Wisconsin:
    Alexander James McCormick (DOB: 26 Mar 1865)

Would appreciate any information - particularly looking for what townland in the Ballyvoy/Ballycastle area they may be from and birth/baptismal records for children born in Canada and what relatives they may have lived near in Canada.

Thank you!
    MM

2. CAREY

CAREY New Member

Hello MM
    I have just picked up your post on the Glens of Antrim Historical Society forum.
    My mother was Rankin of the Ballyvoy lineage so I may be able to help you in your search.
    You can contact me direct by email:- johnmcconnell2@aol.com

John McConnell