MCKAY/LAVERTY FAMILIES

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by margboard, Dec 4, 2012.

1. margboard

margboard New Member

Robert MCKAY (1833) father James and Jane LAVERTY (1836), Father John, were married in Larne 1 December 1858. Listed as MCCAY on Marriage Cert. Roberts residence at time of marriage - Killyglen, Cairncastle. They lived in Dalry/Ayr/Scotland in 1861 before coming to Clare, South Australia in 1865 on the "Adament"
    In the 1851 census Dalry/Ayr/Scotland, Robert was living with his brother, Thomas MCKAY and his wife Mary Ann WALKER, who married 21 January 1847 in Larne, Antrim. They also came to Clare, South Australia aboard "David McIver" in 1859. Their two girls married two brothers BOWLEY. Mary Ann WALKER was born in Carrickfergus.
    Believe Robert MCKAY was Presbyterian and Jane LAVERTY was Catholic.Married at the United Church of England and Ireland.
    Would love to hear from anyone who may be able to help me with these families. Other common given names were Ellen, John, Mary and Mary Ann, Rose or Roseanna, James, Margaret.

Marg

2. Elwyn

Elwyn Member

Though most Irish censuses before 1901 have been destroyed, a few fragments have survived. The 1851 census for Killyglen and some surrounding townlands has survived. There were no McKay families in Killyglen in 1851 but I did notice a Rose McKay (and you say Rose was a family name) in the adjacent townland of Dromain. Perhaps there’s a connection.

1851 census: DROMAIN TOWNLAND
    ROSE MCKAY /HEAD/W//45/NONE/ANT/
    SARAH MCKAY /DAUGHTER/U//21/SEWS AND KNITS/ANT/
    ARCHIBALD MCKAY /SON/U/18//FARM LABOURER/ANT/
    ROBERT MCKAY /SON/U/16//NONE/ANT/
    MARY MCKAY /DAUGHTER/U//14/KNITS AND SEWS/ANT/

3. Bucketthackett76

Bucketthackett76 New Member

Hi
    I have just started looking at my family history. Jane Laverty is my g. grandmother. My mother was a Mckay.
    Do you have any photos?