Mckays, Darraghs, Antrim and The Celtic F.C. connection

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Maccahc, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Ballyvoy

Ballyvoy New Member

My Great Great Great Grandfather was Henry Coyle born 1821 he married Mary Ann Murdoch born 1822, They lived in the Ballycastle Area of Antrim. Their Oldest son Daniel Coyle born 1842 married Mary Darragh born 1842 and they lived in Ballyvoy.
    Mary Darragh was the daughter of John Darragh and Grace Scally and sister to "The Dan".
    They were of course My GG Grandparents, their second son Henry Coyle was born in Ballyvoy he was brought up in Kilsyth after the family left Antrim around 1872 to settle in Croy.
    Henry Coyle married Elizabeth Brown Glancey and their oldest son my Grandfather Daniel Coyle married Isabella McKeown from Kirkintilloch but her family originated in Fauldhouse Isabella was related to the Casey and McKeown Families her mother being a Casey and they owned a shop in Faudhouse.
    I have lots of stuff on these families but not for world wide viewing as some things are still like yesterday.

Get back to me with anything you wish to ask.

Harry

2. Maccahc

Maccahc New Member

Hi Harry email me at mckayshoose @hotmail.com.
    I have deliberately left a space between the first and last parts to prevent automated phishing scams. We may or may not have some ancestors in common!

3. Daire

Daire New Member

I am descended from Alexander Darragh who was a blacksmith in Ballycastle. He married Ann(e)-Jane Sharpe in Ballycastle in 1885. Anne-Jane b.1861 was the daughter of Neal Sharpe a miner and Margaret Sinclair. Anne Jane and her 9 siblings were all christened in Culfeightrin. Alexander Darragh was the son of James Darragh a laborer and Margaret Christie. Alexander (b. 1857) and his two older brothers James and Michael were christened in Culfeightrin. One of the witnesses at the wedding in 1885 was a Daniel Darragh - not sure if he is the Daniel Darragh. Alexander and Ann-Jane left Antrim in 1992 for a post as an blacksmith at Lismore Castle. I would be interested for any information on the family of Neal Sharpe and Margaret Sinclair or James Darragh and Margaret Christie and also trying to find out why a blacksmith from Antrim should travel all the way to Waterford for a post. I would be most appreciative for any information on any branch of the family.

4. Ricco shay

Ricco shay New Member

To Daire O'Connell Re Reply by: Daire on February 18, 2012 at 09:45 PM Daire I am great grandson of Alexander Darragh of Chapel Street Lismore. My mother Rosaleen is still alive and talks about her O'Connell cousins from Lismore and about the Quinlans. I have seen your post re wedding of Ann Jane and Alex in 1885 and that is very helpful Would be delighted to talk with you to ensure my research is focused on new ground that I old share, I only recently started tackling Darragh line having done extensive work on Langton and various tributaries to my family delta

5. DarraghMcHenry

DarraghMcHenry New Member

My great aunt was Mary Darragh and her husband was Captain Dan Darragh who died at sea - her maiden name was Mary McHenry and they were buried in Knocknacarry chapel.
    Grandad (Henry McHenry) was very found of her and she had a guesthouse in Scotland on the west coast/Glasgow area
    We also used to visit the Darragh's of Doone on top of Fairhead.
    The Darraghs here I believe was also called Dan Darragh and he was injured as a young man when a grenade was left by troops exercising on Fairhead.

6. AntrimDarragh

AntrimDarragh New Member

My ancestor is Duncan Darragh who was born around 1795 and from the parish of Ballycastle, Antrim. (I was lucky to find his marriage in Glasgow stating where he was from.) He was also a quarryman according to the 1841 and 1851 census in Glasgow. I have been trying to trace him back further and have always hit a roadblock. (His death record did not supply the name of his parents.) I am interested in Darragh from the area of Ballycastle and Darragh who are working in quarries. I have found some Darragh living in the Glasgow who were originally from Antrim, but have never been able to make a connection to Duncan. For the most part these Darragh are weavers.