McKays of Bellair/Carnlough

Recently discovered three McKay graves in St John's, Carnlough.
Any information on the names or places below most welcome:
First stone is Alexander McKay, Senior, Aughalum, died 19 March 1881 aged 62
His brother John McKay, Dromorne, died 4 September 1853, aged 42
Henry McKay, Dromorne, son of above John, died 13 September 1858, aged 22.
Second: James McKay died 16 December 1895 aged 81
His wife, Ellen McKay, died 23 September 1900 aged 81
Sons John died 1900 aged 40 and Charles, Druminach, died 1908 aged 54
Third: James McKay, Doonan, died 1858
Brother John McKay died 1851 aged 77
Are Doonan, Druminach, Dromorne and Aughalum close to Bellair/Carnlough/Glenarm?
Any help gratefully received

Michael sorry I know this is an old post but going through Griffiths recently these are all townlands in and around Carnlough, I`m still looking for my Mckays and Darraghs. There are far too many of both of them with similar first names to mine in around these areas from various resources such as your gravestones here for me not to be interested. John, Henry and James are all repeat family names. Did you ever figure if there was a link? or find evidenc they weren`t linked to yours...they may be mine or some of them at least.

I have my Mulvenna ancestors in Harphall marrying McKays. One of them, Michael b. 1830's, was from Cushendall and he and Mary Mulvenna went off to California and founded a whole clan of McKays there. The other Mary McKay married Neil Mulvenna, Mary's brother around the 1880's. She was still alive in 1901 but not in 1911. I don't know where she came from. She might have been related to Michael. I always suspect that when you find people marrying into the same name, if you know what I mean. Mary's mother, also mother was still alive in 1911 and living with Neal Mulvenna. There was also a Robert McKay living at the corner of the Whitehill Rd and Shore Rd until about twenty years ago. Might still be there, you never know

Sorry for the delay in replying - I have had great difficulties recently accessing the G of A site.
A quick reply to you would be: No, I could find no direct evidence linking any of those McKays I found. The same names kept re-occurring, time after time!
My name is Alex McKay (Michael is the name of my oldest grandson)- from Edinburgh. If you can access a copy of The Glynns, 2011, I wrote an article, pps 1-14, ''Back to the Glens, A McKay Odysssey'', which I think pretty much covers my personal angle.
In the 2012 issue, pps 67-79, I wrote a second article, ''Death at Sea: A Glensman's Tragedy'', on my connection with the Antrim McKays.
In both artilces there are many photographs and background information.
But, as I say, I ran into a wall with the names I mentioned on the gravestones although I am certain there will be blood links

I have added the references I have to the two McKays mentioned. There was for sure a Mulvenna also but I cannot find my notes on that section. This is taken from a document (now book sized length!) on my search
NOTES AND REFERENCES

1 It was with the greatest difficulty I managed to piece much of the detail of this chapter together.

Re siblings of the first Wee Alexander I have found graves with inscriptions for a John McKay (1811-1853) and his brother James (1813-1895) both of whom I strongly suspect were brothers of his but could not confirm with certainty. The James I mention here is buried in Carnlough St John’s close to the other McKays and his death certificate (Belfast GRO, no 216, 16 December 1895, states that James McKay aged 84, married, Farmer, of Druminagh - a small strip of farming land very close to Bellair - died of ‘’senile decay’’ and his son, another James McKay was present at the death). James senior may well have been a younger brother of the first Wee Alexander who farmed on his own account.

I tried always to verify any conclusions I make from a second source. For example Carnlough/Glenarm RC church record fragments state that on ‘’29 July 1827, Arthur son to Alexander McCay & Elenor Hamill’’ was baptised [NB: ‘’McCay’’ was often used as the spelling in various period records and appears interchangeable with McKay]. Arthur’s will also mentions his mother, ‘’Ellen‘’. 1901 Census records gave final confirmation, through his recorded age of 74, that this was indeed Arthur of Bellair Farm.

On 20 January 1838, brother James of the same parents, ‘’Alexander McCay & Elenor Hamill’’ was baptised, sponsors were James McNeill and Nancy McAllister (from Carnlough RC church records).

On 25 July 1840, 13 years after Arthur’s birth, brother Patrick McKay of the same parents was baptised in the same church. Baby Patrick’s sponsors were Arthur Hamill and Ann McKeown.

From this Patrick’s will, we know he had brothers named James and Charles.

From Henry (1829-1884)’s will we learn he had brothers named Patrick, James and Charles and his mother was named Ellen. The first Wee Alexander was certainly dead by this time (1884) and so, frustratingly, we have no mention of him.
A ‘’sister-in-law’’, Anne Mooney, ‘’present at death‘’ (see note 2), registered the event. She was the wife of his brother, Patrick.

And so bit by painstaking bit the members of this family appeared as if out of a mist.

My thanks to Bob Murray, genealogist, of Irish Eyes, for locating the church records at PRONI.

2 Henry McKay died in Bellair of rheumatic fever on 1 May 1884. He was a bachelor and a ‘’sailor’’. ‘’Sister-in-law Anne Munie (sic) ‘’, ‘’present at death‘’, did the registering.
GRO Belfast, Ref 042068/01, Glenarm, Larne

In his will, Henry passes on his property ‘’of whatever nature and description unto my brother, Patrick McKay ….’’ He mentions his mother, Ellen McKay, who must have been already very old, asking that she be taken care of, and his brothers, Charles and James.

3 See Scotland’s People, 1901 census for Canal Street, Clydebank.

4 Church Records: Patrick McKay, Bellair, aged 44, farmer, married Anne Mooney (b 1862, ‘’of Glenariffe Lodge’’), Doory, ‘’over 21’’ [she was 22] spinster, at Waterfoot RC Church on 25 March 1884.

5 My sincere thanks for all of the following to Felix McKillop, author and expert Antrim historian, and to Alastair Lynas, Margaret MacAllister, Paddy Magill.

I advertised in the Larne Times as a long shot, seeking anyone who knew of the history of the McKays of Bellair. The three above named grandchildren of the second Wee Alexander replied and filled me in with the most amazing detail and supplied precious photographs.
Alastair Lynas had in fact worked on the Bellair farm as a boy and young man with ‘’Grandda and his son, Paddy‘’. He regretted as I did, when young, not perhaps listening as he should have to his grandfather’s stories of his youth and family lore but nonetheless was a gold mine of information and much of the story and detail of this line of the family I owe to him and his Magill and MacAllister cousins.

Family of Patrick and Anne McKay:
1 Patrick (1884-1917) Drowned in 1918. Never married.

2 Alexander [the second Wee Alexander] (1887-1973) married Rosetta McCormick (1900-1929) in 1919.
Rosetta was a daughter of Felix McCormick and Sarah Campbell of Bellair.
Children:
Patrick (1926-2005)
Annie married an Arthur Magill of Gartford
Sarah married a Jim Lynas
Maggie
married a John Hamill.

3 Maryanne (1889-1967) married a Patrick McKendry in 1922. He died in 1927.
Children:
Ellen (1924-1996) never married.
Lena married a Patrick Joseph McNeilly of Cullybacky in 1940
Mona Teresa married a Hugh Hamill in 1967
Annie: (died in 1966)

6 This Wee Alexander, who died in 1973, and his wife Rosetta are buried in Glenarm Cemetery’s RC section. In the same grave lies the remains of their only son, Patrick, who died in 2005.

7 There are, for examples, keepsakes held by James McKay’s granddaughter, Margaret McKay Duffin, which include a memorial mass card for the death of Dr James McKay of Coatbridge in 1937, as well many references in papers of the time to the Lavelles of Coatbridge. This would suggest some of the Antrim McKays attended the funeral in Scotland. I am certain also that, pre-WW2, the other based-in-England doctor sons and daughters of Patrick McKay kept in close touch.

8 As I had only daughters the McKay name has disappeared also in my own branch of the family.

I have added the references I have to the two McKays mentioned. There was for sure a Mulvenna also but I cannot find my notes on that section. This is taken from a document (now book sized length!) on my search
NOTES AND REFERENCES

1 It was with the greatest difficulty I managed to piece much of the detail of this chapter together.

Re siblings of the first Wee Alexander I have found graves with inscriptions for a John McKay (1811-1853) and his brother James (1813-1895) both of whom I strongly suspect were brothers of his but could not confirm with certainty. The James I mention here is buried in Carnlough St John’s close to the other McKays and his death certificate (Belfast GRO, no 216, 16 December 1895, states that James McKay aged 84, married, Farmer, of Druminagh - a small strip of farming land very close to Bellair - died of ‘’senile decay’’ and his son, another James McKay was present at the death). James senior may well have been a younger brother of the first Wee Alexander who farmed on his own account.

I tried always to verify any conclusions I make from a second source. For example Carnlough/Glenarm RC church record fragments state that on ‘’29 July 1827, Arthur son to Alexander McCay & Elenor Hamill’’ was baptised [NB: ‘’McCay’’ was often used as the spelling in various period records and appears interchangeable with McKay]. Arthur’s will also mentions his mother, ‘’Ellen‘’. 1901 Census records gave final confirmation, through his recorded age of 74, that this was indeed Arthur of Bellair Farm.

On 20 January 1838, brother James of the same parents, ‘’Alexander McCay & Elenor Hamill’’ was baptised, sponsors were James McNeill and Nancy McAllister (from Carnlough RC church records).

On 25 July 1840, 13 years after Arthur’s birth, brother Patrick McKay of the same parents was baptised in the same church. Baby Patrick’s sponsors were Arthur Hamill and Ann McKeown.

From this Patrick’s will, we know he had brothers named James and Charles.

From Henry (1829-1884)’s will we learn he had brothers named Patrick, James and Charles and his mother was named Ellen. The first Wee Alexander was certainly dead by this time (1884) and so, frustratingly, we have no mention of him.
A ‘’sister-in-law’’, Anne Mooney, ‘’present at death‘’ (see note 2), registered the event. She was the wife of his brother, Patrick.

And so bit by painstaking bit the members of this family appeared as if out of a mist.

My thanks to Bob Murray, genealogist, of Irish Eyes, for locating the church records at PRONI.

2 Henry McKay died in Bellair of rheumatic fever on 1 May 1884. He was a bachelor and a ‘’sailor’’. ‘’Sister-in-law Anne Munie (sic) ‘’, ‘’present at death‘’, did the registering.
GRO Belfast, Ref 042068/01, Glenarm, Larne

In his will, Henry passes on his property ‘’of whatever nature and description unto my brother, Patrick McKay ….’’ He mentions his mother, Ellen McKay, who must have been already very old, asking that she be taken care of, and his brothers, Charles and James.

3 See Scotland’s People, 1901 census for Canal Street, Clydebank.

4 Church Records: Patrick McKay, Bellair, aged 44, farmer, married Anne Mooney (b 1862, ‘’of Glenariffe Lodge’’), Doory, ‘’over 21’’ [she was 22] spinster, at Waterfoot RC Church on 25 March 1884.

5 My sincere thanks for all of the following to Felix McKillop, author and expert Antrim historian, and to Alastair Lynas, Margaret MacAllister, Paddy Magill.

I advertised in the Larne Times as a long shot, seeking anyone who knew of the history of the McKays of Bellair. The three above named grandchildren of the second Wee Alexander replied and filled me in with the most amazing detail and supplied precious photographs.
Alastair Lynas had in fact worked on the Bellair farm as a boy and young man with ‘’Grandda and his son, Paddy‘’. He regretted as I did, when young, not perhaps listening as he should have to his grandfather’s stories of his youth and family lore but nonetheless was a gold mine of information and much of the story and detail of this line of the family I owe to him and his Magill and MacAllister cousins.

Family of Patrick and Anne McKay:
1 Patrick (1884-1917) Drowned in 1918. Never married.

2 Alexander [the second Wee Alexander] (1887-1973) married Rosetta McCormick (1900-1929) in 1919.
Rosetta was a daughter of Felix McCormick and Sarah Campbell of Bellair.
Children:
Patrick (1926-2005)
Annie married an Arthur Magill of Gartford
Sarah married a Jim Lynas
Maggie
married a John Hamill.

3 Maryanne (1889-1967) married a Patrick McKendry in 1922. He died in 1927.
Children:
Ellen (1924-1996) never married.
Lena married a Patrick Joseph McNeilly of Cullybacky in 1940
Mona Teresa married a Hugh Hamill in 1967
Annie: (died in 1966)

6 This Wee Alexander, who died in 1973, and his wife Rosetta are buried in Glenarm Cemetery’s RC section. In the same grave lies the remains of their only son, Patrick, who died in 2005.

7 There are, for examples, keepsakes held by James McKay’s granddaughter, Margaret McKay Duffin, which include a memorial mass card for the death of Dr James McKay of Coatbridge in 1937, as well many references in papers of the time to the Lavelles of Coatbridge. This would suggest some of the Antrim McKays attended the funeral in Scotland. I am certain also that, pre-WW2, the other based-in-England doctor sons and daughters of Patrick McKay kept in close touch.

8 As I had only daughters the McKay name has disappeared also in my own branch of the family.

I was trying to investigate a Mary Mc Kay was born in 1860 in Glenarm, Antrim, Northern Ireland, the child of James. She married John Mc Ilgorm on October 17, 1883. Her father was James McKay of Bellair. Would this be the same family. Id he the James that was mentioned by his brother in the will making Ellen his mother?