Where was Loughlynch?

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Todd McKee, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Todd McKee

Todd McKee New Member

I have traced my great-grandmother's family to the Townland of Loughlynch in the Parish of Billy, both of which no longer exist. I know that Loughlynch was was an island in a lough that has since been drained, but I cannot find on a map where it would have been located when it did exist. Can anyone give me a location in the present day where this Townland existed?
    From the 1911 census, it shows the County of Antrim, North Antrim, Ballymoney, Carnmoon (Cammoon?), Loughlynch, in the Barony of Dunluce Lower and the Parish of Billy.
    My ancestors were George Thompson and Hessie McCurdy Thompson, whose daughter Jane Maria Thompson emigrated to the US in 1897 after marrying John Todd of Ballycastle.
    Thank you for any help you can provide.
  2. JohnM

JohnM New Member

If you go to : http://www.askaboutireland.ie/
    then click on Griffith's Valuation and do a placename search, you will find it with all the details of the townland at the time of Griffiths (in this case 1861), the occupants (including a couple of Thompson families) and a map of the location. If you use the slider at the top right-hand corner of the map, you can superimpose the current day map on the old one.
  3. JohnM

JohnM New Member

4. Todd McKee

Todd McKee New Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you. These resources are great. There are so many of the different branches of my family that all came over to the US in the 1890's and early 1900's, and many, many more that stayed in Ireland. They all came from different little Townlands in "Northern Ireland" or the "Irish Free State" that it is mind-numbing trying to keep them all organized. I appreciate your help.
  5. JohnM

JohnM New Member

You are welcome. Good luck with your onward search.
  6. Renee McBride

Renee McBride New Member

Hello Todd I guess we are cousins as my family were Loughlynch ones. My email is renee@healthyhealing.co.uk if you wish to get in touch.
  7. Shane McCurdy

Shane McCurdy New Member

I have quite a bit on the McCurdy connection and genealogy of this family!
    Jane Maria Thompson married her cousin John Todd - his mother Elizabeth McCurdy was a sister of Hessie McCurdy, the wife of George Thompson ... Both being daughters of William McCurdy of Moycraig ...
    It would be great to exchange details - I can be contacted on s.h.mccurdy@ukgateway.net
    Shane McCurdy
    Northern Ireland